Do you have frog-loving kids? If so, this unit is for them! Below you’ll find lots of links, videos and activities that will guide you and your children on a fun learning adventure about frogs and toads!
I hope you enjoy this unit. I definitely could have added so much more! If you have some great resources, feel free to add them to the comments area.
I’m considering creating other units like this. If you have a minute, I’d love your feedback about this study. It will help me in planning future units and how I might make them better. Thank you!
Download Notebooking Pages:
The words below are linked to their definitions. The number/letter indicates the correct definitions from the website provided.
- frog (1a)
- toad (1)
- cold-blooded (2)
- backbone (1)
- egg (1a)
- metamorphosis (3)
- lung (1a)
- camouflage (1)
Watch this short video to see lots of different kinds of frogs and toads!
Here’s a fun, short video for your younger students about amphibians.
- Read about the life cycle of a frog.
- Watch this nicely illustrated video about the life cycle of a frog.
- Frog life cycle game
See the difference between frogspawn and toad spawn
Kingdom Animalia (animals)
Phylum Chordata (animals with a notochord)
Class Amphibia (amphibians)
Order Anura (frogs and toads)
Family Many families, including Family Bufonidae (toads), Family Centrolenidae, Family Dendrobatidae (poison dart frogs), Family Discoglossidae, Family Hylidae (tree frogs, etc.), Family Hyperolidae, Family Leptodactylidae, Family Microhylidae, Family Myobatrachidae, Family Pelobatidae, Family Pipidae, Family Pseudidae, Family Ranidae (true frogs), Family Rhacophoridae, Family Rhinophrynidae.
With more than 4,000 species of frogs, there’s sure to be a few strange ones!
There are lots of different kinds of frogs. Watch the video below from the San Diego Zoo to learn about a few of them.
The last two downloads in this section can be used as mini-books to add to your notebooking pages (the small mini-books fit into the illustration boxes of the frog study pages – also below). You can also add them to a lapbook, create a wall poster to display the frogs you’re studying, cut out just the frog portion and use as flash cards, or copy two sets of flash cards and play a memory game. There are lots of different uses for them!
- Visual Frog Anatomy and Frog Dissection
- Diagram of frog digestive system
- Important frog parts of the digestive system
- Frog Skin
- Frog Feet
- Frog Eyes
- Frog Ears
- Here’s a nice comparison chart for younger students.
- Frogs vs. Toads
- This list goes into more detail – nice for older students
- Listen to some frog and toad calls
The video below is suited best for older students.
- Here’s a nice page for younger students about what frogs eat, how they get their food, who their enemies are, and how they escape from their enemies.
- What do frogs eat? What eats a frog?
- What eats a frog?
Bullfrogs hunt…anything! – Watch and see!
Poisonous Dart Frogs
- Black-legged Dart Frog
- Blue Poison Dart Frog
- Dyeing Poisonous Dart Frog
- Giant Leaf Frog
- Golden Poison Frog
- Kokoe Poison Dart Frog
- Lovely Poison Frog
- Phantasmal Poison Frog
- Red-backed Poison Frog
- Strawberry Poison Dart Frog
- Fun Hibernation Facts
- How a Frog Hibernates
- How do frogs survive the winter? Why don’t they freeze to death?
Watch the video below to see how a Wood Frog survives the winter.
- Fun Frog Facts for Kids
- Frequently asked questions by students about frogs
- Smallest Species of Frog
- Largest Species of Frog
Check out these awesome Pinterest boards with fun frog crafts for kids!
- Frog Coloring Pages
- Red-eyed Tree Frog online coloring
- Frog Jump Game
- Frog and Toad are Friends Board Game
- The Frog and Toad Collection Box Set (I Can Read Book 2)
- A Frog Prince
- A Frog in the Bog
- A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog
- Too Many Frogs
- The Princess and the Frog
- The Wide-Mouthed Frog (A Pop-Up Book)
- The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess)
- Nic Bishop: Frogs
- Frogs: Animal Nature Facts, Trivia and Photos! (Jungle Series – Expedition Earth)
- National Geographic Readers: Frogs
- The Purple Frog
- The Frog Princess StoryChimes
- The Princess and the Frog – Interactive Children’s Story Book
- Frog Prince
- Finding Franking Frog
- Frog King Lite
- Ox & Frog
- Flip Flop Story
Apps For Purchase